Laura Rege is a Food Stylist and Recipe Developer who regularly contributes recipes and styles videos and photos for Delish. If she isn't in the Delish kitchens, you'll most likely find her out on the town looking for the next food trends in the US and on her travels abroad.
Creamy Pesto Baked Gnocchi & Chicken Skillet
What isn’t pesto good in? It’s a sauce that turns any dish into kitchen gold, especially this totally comforting and delicious gnocchi and chicken bake. For the perfect pesto touch, stir a dollop into the tomato mixture to coat everything, then dollop the top with more right out of the oven for a fresh finish. Whether you use our go-to pesto recipe to get started or buy your favorite store-bought version to speed things up, this dish isn’t going to last long—it’s the kind of meal people will fight over the last spoonful.
Made this? Let us know how it went in the comments below!
- 4 serving(s)
- Prep Time:
- 15 mins
- Total Time:
- 50 mins
skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp.
extra-virgin olive oil, divided
small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c.
grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 c.
dry white wine
- 1 c.
low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp.
(17-oz.) package refrigerated or shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 c.
homemade or store-bought pesto, divided
- 6 oz.
thinly sliced mozzarella
Torn fresh basil leaves and lightly toasted pine nuts, for serving
- Step 1Preheat oven to 425º. Season chicken on both sides with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2In same skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and wine and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan, until wine is mostly evaporated and tomatoes are just starting to wilt, about 2 minutes. Pour in broth and and cream and bring to a boil. Stir in gnocchi and nestle chicken back into pan.
- Step 3Bake until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165°, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- Step 4Stir 2 tablespoons pesto into skillet. Top with mozzarella. Continue to bake until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
- Step 5Thinly slice chicken and return to skillet. Dollop top of bake with remaining 6 tablespoons pesto. Sprinkle with basil and pine nuts.