Taylor Ann Spencer is a food writer and recipe developer with a passion for focaccia, apples, and plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt (don’t judge!). When she’s not working as a line cook, she’s at home dreaming up or testing new recipes.
These spinach puffs are the perfect holiday appetizer. Basically, if you love baked spinach dip (if you don't, we're not entirely sure we can trust you...), you will love these baked puff pastry puffs. They're filled with a mixture of sautéed onion, garlic, spinach, and cream cheese and baked inside little puff pastry cups in a muffin tin. We've never met anyone who's been able to eat just one.
- Prep Time:
- 30 mins
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 tbsp.
- 1/3 c.
onion, finely chopped
cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz.
cream cheese, softened
(10-oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed as dry as possible
- 3/4 c.
- 2 tbsp.
fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp.
Freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for rolling puff pastry
sheet from 1 (17.3-oz) package puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- Step 1In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Remove from heat.
- Step 2In a large bowl, stir together cream cheese and 1 egg. Stir in garlic-onion mixture, spinach, feta, dill, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Grease 9 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheet to a 12” square. Cut into 9 smaller squares, each about 4” wide. Ease each puff pastry square into a greased muffin cup, letting the corners hang over the sides. Add about 2½ tablespoons of filling to the center of each. Fold in pastry corners to meet in the center over the filling and pinch together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or freeze for 15 minutes).
- Step 4Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to center position and preheat the oven to 400°.
- Step 5Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon water and brush on top of the chilled pastry.
- Step 6Bake until puffed and golden brown on the bottom, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before lifting out of the muffin tin. Serve warm or at room temperature.