Makinze is currently Food Editor for Delish, where she develops recipes, creates and hosts recipe videos and is our current baking queen.. Reigning from Oklahoma, she's also our go-to for all things regarding Midwestern cuisine. She's also our expert pie crimper.
Apple cider adds a subtle sweetness to a classic brisket, and after letting it braise low and slow, it will be as tender as possible. Letting the potatoes and carrots cook with the brisket flavors them from the inside out, and the whole dish will be deeply savory. The veggies cooked along with any kind of roasted or braised meat, like in a roast chicken, are always my favorite. This is a perfect meal for a lazy, chilly Sunday and will make plenty for a crowd or for leftovers you’ll look forward to all week.
Have you tried this yet? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 8 - 10 serving(s)
- Prep Time:
- 15 mins
- Total Time:
- 3 hrs 30 mins
(3- to 4-lb.) beef brisket
Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 lb.
baby potatoes, halved
large carrots, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
shallots, sliced into 1/4"-thick rounds
- 4 c.
- 1 1/2 c.
low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp.
- Step 1Preheat oven to 325°. Pat brisket dry with paper towels; season all over with salt and black pepper.
- Step 2In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add brisket and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a large baking dish.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium. In same pot, cook potatoes cut side down, undisturbed, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and shallots; season with salt and black pepper. Stir to release potatoes. Return brisket and any accumulated juices to pot. Pour cider and broth over and add thyme and bay leaves. Add cayenne; season with salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Step 4Once boiling, transfer to oven, still covered, and roast until brisket is easily shreddable, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Step 5Discard thyme and bay leaves. Shred brisket with 2 forks.
- Step 6Transfer brisket to a platter. Arrange vegetables alongside and spoon juices over.