Brooke Caison is currently a Food Editor at Delish, where she develops recipes and creates recipe videos. She started as a cook, writer, and hospitality expert with an eye for food trends and foolproof techniques. Outside of the kitchen, she hunts for food on the shrinking list of things she has not yet tried because life is too short not to try everything at least once.
White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Biscotti
A lot of treats consider themselves coffee/tea companions, but none hold a candle to the crispy, crunchy goodness that is the humble biscotti. Biscotti have roots in the Roman empire and were once used as a travel snack. The name means “twice-cooked,” and it was that second cooking that dried the cookie out enough to make it resistant to mold and perfect for long trips. Today we have the luxury of not only packing biscotti for a road trip, but also finding delicious varieties of biscotti at almost any coffee shop you visit. The dough for these biscotti is a classic flavor combination of cranberry and orange, but the finished cookie is dipped in white chocolate and coated in chopped pistachios to add a little extra indulgence.
This recipe is based on the one that I made weekly at my after-school job at the Italian Gourmet Deli in Vienna, Virginia. The owner and my former boss, Jeremy Schottler, shared that although traditional biscotti don’t have butter, the secret to what made his recipe so craveable was, in fact, butter. And a lot of it. It adds an undeniable richness while still delivering on the snap and crunch you expect from biscotti.
Do I have to add white chocolate and pistachios?
Absolutely not! These are delicious without the extra toppings, or you can swap the white chocolate and pistachios for dark chocolate and chopped pecans or milk chocolate and sliced almonds.
The best part about biscotti is the shelf life. Keep these in an airtight container stored between layers of parchment for up to 2 weeks. They can also be individually wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to 3 months.
Looking for more biscotti recipes? Check out June's nutty peppermint chocolate biscotti. Have you made this yet? Let us know how it went in the comments below!
- Prep Time:
- 10 mins
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 35 mins
- 3 c.
(360 g.) pastry flour (or equal parts all-purpose and cake flour)
- 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp.
- 1 c.
(200 g.) granulated sugar
- 3/4 c.
(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp.
pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp.
finely grated orange zest
- 1 c.
(150 g.) dried cranberries
- 2 c.
(360 g.) white chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 c.
(210 g.) chopped pistachios
- Step 1In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat granulated sugar and butter until combined and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Stir in vanilla and orange zest until combined. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no visible streaks remain. Fold in cranberries.
- Step 2Turn out dough onto a large parchment-lined sheet pan and divide into 2 pieces (about 500 grams each). Lightly wet your hands and shape each piece into a rectangular slab about 9" long, 4" wide, and 3/4" thick. Arrange dough so longer edge of rectangle is parallel to shortest edge of sheet tray so it has room to spread. Chill dough until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 350°. Bake biscotti until edges start to turn golden brown and center doesn’t feel sticky or soft to the touch, about 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Step 4Slice each loaf into 10 slices. Carefully arrange slices cut side down on sheet pan. Continue to bake, flipping halfway through, until both sides are dry and light brown, about 15 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Step 5Meanwhile, in a medium heatproof bowl, microwave chocolate and oil in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Place pistachios in a deep bowl or on a plate. Dip one end of biscotti into chocolate, then into pistachios, turning to coat.
32 Magically Delicious Marshmallow Recipes
75 Easy Chocolate Desserts
40 Sweet & Savory Quick Bread Recipes